Monday, December 12, 2011

December 12, 2011


Hola!!! Whew what a week!! Today was cambios and miracles of miracles, Hermana Lope and I are still companions. We really thought that she was going to leave. But hurray we can spend Christmas together. I have officially been in Chile for 12 weeks! It seems like forever and yet it seems like nothing. This week was HOT! It was in the 90´s, and some days it was in the upper 90´s. Don´t worry I put on lots of sunscreen and drank lots of water. And surprisingly I´m not burned or dehydrated considering we walk around in the street all day. I´d much rather prefer this to be freezing though! People say that this much heat at this time of year is unusual thought. right now is like the beginning of June in the states.

Today I tried a food called cochayuyo...its that seaweed that is long and green, and it´s like a tube...yeah they dry it and eat it here...it kind of tasted like fish food...or rather it smelled like fish food, you know the kind you buy at the pet store. Here´s a picture of it!

Also very exciting, this week we had a very special baptism!! One month ago, to the day we met this woman...or rather we talked to her son outside of their house and invited him to be baptized. We arranged to return later that night to talk with his mom. I wasn´t able to go back because I was teaching English Class, but Hermana Lopez and Martinez went back to this house. When they got there the mom came out, angry as a mother bear, demanding to know who had invited her son to be baptized and why. The hermanas explained who they were and what they did as missionaries. By the end of their time talking this woman told them she wanted to know more and set up a time for them to come back. The missionaries invited her to Stake Conference which was the upcoming Sunday. To our delight, she and her son came to the Conference and loved it! When we taught her the first discussion she had tears in her eyes and told us that she knew that we had been sent to her by God because she needed to make some changes in her life. We continued to meet with her and teach her, and she came to church every Sunday. She is so sincere and honest and truly wants to learn, she asks questions and seeks to understand. In most of our lessons she was asking so many questions about the Church it was hard to keep up with her. She never wanted to set a date to be baptised though, she said she needed to keep learning. Her son and brother started coming to Church with her too. This past week as we taught her she started talking about being baptised, as we talked about when she wanted to be baptised she realized that with the holidays and all the acitivities of the end of the year she could either do it on the 11th or wait until January. She decided on the 11th!! In less than 24hrs we organized the baptism and this past Saturday evening she was baptised!!! She tells us that she knows that this is a good thing in her life and that she wished she could get baptised again just to feel that feeling again! It was really wonderful and special. Baptism is the gate to enter to have access to the saving power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It is the portal to eternal happiness and progression.

I am so excited this month for Christmas! But especially to remember Christ, more than during any other time of the year. Starting tomorrow I am going to start reading the New Testament, cover to cover, to read about the life of Jesus Christ! His whole life was for us, to be an example, and to be our Savior. This week a certain hymn has been on the lips of me and the other three hermanas in my house. The hymn is "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul" I´ve mentioned it before, but this song is so powerful to me. Here are the words¨

Savior, Redeemer of my soul, Whose mightly hand hath made me whole,
Whose wonderous power hath raised me up And filled with sweet my bitter cup!
What tongue my gratitude can tell, O gracious God of Israel.

Never can I repay thee, Lord, but I can love thee.
Thy pure word, Hath it not been my one delight, My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim it still, And all my life reflect thy will.

Overrule mine acts to serve thine ends. Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul till I shall be In perfect harmony with thee.
Make me more worthy of thy love, And fit me for the life above.
Hymn 112)

Church Music: Hymn 112 Savior, Redeemer of My Soul
"Savior, Redeemer of My Soul" Performed by Dallyn Vail Bayles (The melody here is different from the one in the hymnbook.)

I hope you think about the Savior more this month, and think about what He is to you and our relatioship with Him. I love the Savior, I know He lives and that He is the only way to be truly happy. Seek to follow Him in all things.

Wishing you happy Christmas preparations!
Hermana Bowns

No comments:

Post a Comment