Monday, April 9, 2012

April 9, 2012 - Easter

Hola hola!

Mini-Mission

This week was unique! We did something called a mini-mission. 4 young women (ages 16-18) from another city came to be our companions for 4 days. That means that for 4 days I was senior companion walking around with an 18 year old Chilean. It was great! The young women who came were SO amazing. They were better missionaries than I was after 2 months in the mission. When my companion would teach, the Spirit was so strong. I learned a lot from these young girls! I also learned a lot from the experience because this was the first time, in my whole mission thus far, that I was senior companion, which means that I was responsible for the work we did as a companionship. My new companion didn´t know where we were giong or who we were going to teach, or how we were going to do it. It was a great test for me, to see how much I have learned and progressed in the past 6 months. For example, 6 months ago I marveled at how my trainer could manage situations. She could teach anywhere to anyone, and invite people to be baptised at any moment, when she felt that the moment was right. She was bold and could teach even drunk people who would talk to us in the street. I remember thinking how amazing she was and wondering if I would ever be able to do that.

Progress and Growth

Well, in these past 4 days I found myself teaching about the importance of baptism to two women in a little street store and inviting them to be baptized, and then when a drunk man interrupted us to tell me how beautiful I was and that he would change his life if I would date him, I found myself boldly telling him to change his life for Jesus Christ, not me, and giving him a pamphlet about the Word of Wisdom to read. Sometimes we don't stop to look  back in our lives and see how far we´ve come, but I did this weekend and was pleasantly surprised that I have grown and progressed! If you haven´t stopped to see your own progress lately, I encourage you to do so. Think of what you were doing or who you were 6 months ago and who you are or what you are doing now and see the ways in which you are doing better! And if you would like to see more progess, set some goals so that when you look back 6 months from now, that you will see even more progress! We are here to better ourselves, and it is this progress and growth that helps us to feel happy:)

Easter

And Happy Easter!! One of my companions made us little "easter baskets" (a bowl made of paper with candy inside) and in church we heard some really wonderful talks about the Savior. One of the speakers talked about the great importance of the Atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ. He cited these scriptures from the Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi, Chapter 9:

For as death hath passed upon all men, to fulfil the merciful plan of the great Creator, there must needs be a power of resurrection...Wherefore, it must needs be an infinite atonement—save it should be an infinite atonement this corruption could not put on incorruption. Wherefore, the first judgment which came upon man must needs have remained to an endless duration. And if so, this flesh must have laid down to rot and to crumble to its mother earth, to rise no more. (verses 6-7)

And he cometh into the world that he may save all men if they will hearken unto his voice; for behold, he suffereth the pains of all men, yea, the pains of every living creature, both men, women, and children... And he suffereth this that the resurrection might pass upon all men, that all might stand before him at the great and judgment day. And he commandeth all men that they must repent, and be baptized in his name, having perfect faith in the Holy One of Israel, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God. For the atonement satisfieth the demands of his justice upon all those who have not the law given to them, that they are delivered from that awful monster, death and hell...and they are restored to that God who gave them breath, which is the Holy One of Israel. (verses 21-26)

The speaker read these scriptures and then said something along the lines of: i get it now. I get why it was so essential that Jesus came to the earth suffered for our sins, died on the cross, and was resurrected. Because if not we would die and never rise again. If not we would be subject to the devil forever. If not, we have no hope for life and happiness. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the whole world. He died that we might have eternal life. He was resurrected and He lives. And all He asks is that we now sacrifice, not our life,  but rather our sins through our own repentance, that He might heal and save us. Even though this was a special weekend that we could remind ourselves of Him and His life, I hope we always remember His Atonement and resurrection and what that means for us!

I love you! Thank you for your love and support and prayers!
Hermana Bowns
_

No comments:

Post a Comment