Monday, August 20, 2012

August 20, 2012 - Transfers!

Do you like surprises????

Good cuz I have a huge surprise! I'm being transferred!

I was 98% sure I was NOT leaving (just like everytime I feel like I'm not being transfered and then end up getting transfered). We were so sure I wasn't leaving that my companion pretty much already said bye to everyone and she packed all her bags the night before. We were in shock this morning when we got the news that I am leaving. I am still in shock. But changes are always good and I know I am going to love my new sector.

Cultural Tidbits

It has been awhile since I wrote some Chilean Cultural Tidbits so here some are:

Chileans LOVE lemons. They put lemon juice and everything, and more than once I have caught people eating lemons straight with salt on them. ooooo...sour!

All of the schools here have uniforms. Which usually consists of pants or a skirt and a button up shirt or a polo type shirt. To keep the clothes clean all the kids also have this jackety thing that looks like a doctor's lab coat that they wear on the way to or home from school. I could never figure out why the kids wore them (because they are kind of funny looking), but then one kid told me it is to protect his clothes....hmmm...smart idea.

There is also a high school here in my town called Funny School. I was talking to a woman who works in the school district and asked her if she knew what the name meant, she said she had no idea. She said though that out of all of the schools in the district it had the most students. Not because it was the best academially, nor because it was the cheapest (all the schools are private schools here), but because its name was in English. I laughed out loud and told the lady that the school's name meant Funny School and then she just started laughing herself. She said people go crazy for stuff in English even if they don't know what it means.

Rain

This week it rained 4 out of the 7 days of the week. And three if those days were in a row! I get the feeling I'm still in for some rain this winter!

Moving Mountains

This weekend my companion and I sang in another baptismal service. We sang another Jenny Philips song called Valiant Faith. There is a line that says something about how I was born to fight for the right, to move mountains and to see the power of God in my life. I liked that because it reminded me that that really is why I am here. To fight for the right, to move mountains and to see the power of God work in my life and in the lives of others.

Valiant Faith by Jenny Phillips:  In English • In Spanish (YouTube videos)

Photo source: WikiPedia.com
Tolhuaca Volcano, Chile
It made me think about the mountains that I have seen moved and the mountains there still are to move. And about how I want to see the power of God more in my life. Mountains are moved through our great faith. What are the mountains in your life that need to move? And how can you move them with the help of God through your great faith? I like the reminders from these scriptures:

Mormon 9:27 "...wonder not, but hearken unto the words of the Lord, and ask the Father in the name of Jesus for what things soever ye shall stand in need. Doubt not, but be believing, and begin as in times of old, and come unto the Lordwith all your heart..."

Doctrine and Covenants 6:36 "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."

Don't doubt and don't fear. Those mountains WILL move! Have faith and ask the Lord for the things you need and He will help you. Don't think it's impossible. If the Lord has asked you to do it, it can be done! I echo the testimony of Nephi when he said, "If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done." (1 Nephi 17:50)

Photo source: WikiPedia.com • R: Mt. Shasta, California,
L: Miscanti Lagoon near San Pedro de Atacama Chile Luca Galuzzi 2006
Let's go forth with great faith this week moving mountains that appear will not budge! I know I have some challenges awaiting me in my new sector and so I more than ever will be putting into practice my faith to see the power of God work in my life and in my sector!

With much love, Hermana Bowns

No comments:

Post a Comment