Monday, September 17, 2012

September 17, 2012 - Dieciocho Spirit

Chilean Cultural Tidbits:

They love herbal tea here. If you are sick with anything, they will recommend an herb of some kind. The other day I drank a nice Oregano Water, super delicious and healthy! My companion had a tummy ache this week and a sister in the ward gave us a broken up branch to boil with sugar until the water turned pink and drink it. We have no idea what it was, but it worked!

Traditional September 18th foods: Empanadas (like a calzon full of meat and onions) and Mote con Huesillo (soaked barley with a sun-dried peach in peach juice), both super delicious and super traditional. It isn't even 18 yet and we already get offered empanadas and mote con huesillo in every house. Yesterday we ate 4 empanadas in 3 different houses within 3 hours.

Well we are in the middle of 18 (people here just say Dieciocho - that's 18 in Spanish) Spirit. There are Chilean flags EVERYWHERE. It is so patriotic:) People are in holiday mode. Eating, hanging out with family, listening to music loud, having barbeques, walking around in traditional chilean cowboy attire, flying kites, etc. Next week I will have lots of photos:) My companion and I tried to find dresses to participate in all the festivities, but we didn't end up finding dresses in our size:( Tonight my companion is going to teach me Chile's national anthem. Tomorrow early the ward is going to put up the flag, sing the national anthem and eat breakfast and play games, so I need to be prepared to sing along too! I'll tell you how it all goes down next week:)

Love, Hermana Bowns
_

No comments:

Post a Comment