Monday, October 8, 2012

October 8, 2012 - Conference Weekend

Who loved watching General Conference?

Hermana Bowns did!!!!!

What a spiritual feast! I loved every minute of it. Here were the highlights of the conference for me:

1. The age change for missionaries! Changing the young men was no surprise because that has been in effect here for probably almost a year now. And it is true what they said, the young men who come at 18 are just as good, just as prepared, and just as diligent as the other young men who come at 19. I would even say they come MORE excited and ready to work than the 19 year olds. This is a great change they have made. When they announced that they have changed the age for women, we were all on the edge of our seats and let out a gasp and exclamations of excitement! That is SO cool. I was so excited it made me want to go on a mission again! I was hoping that I would still be here to see some 19 year old sisters come, but I don't think I will. (See Welcome to Conference by President Thomas S. Monson)

2. All the strong, fun declarations made:



3. To avoid having regrets in this life we should: spend more time with those we love, strive earnestly to be what God knows we can be, and find happiness regardless of our circumstances (from President Uchtdorf's Saturday morning talk, Of Regrets and Resolutions).

4. How do you make the change to really be like the Savior? One small suggestion: In our morning prayer ask Heavenly Father to help us find an opportunity that day to help someone. Then be focused in finding that opportunity, if we do we will find ways to serve that we never thought possible before and we will come to be more like the Savior (from Elder Russell M. Nelson's Saturday morning talk, Ask the Missionaries! They Can Help You).

5. I loved the words to the song that Elder Packer read and then the choir sang. It was Hymn 127: Does the Journey Seem Long? SO beautiful :)
(from Elder Packer's talk: The Atonement)

6. Elder Walter F. González said "Christ will never fail you, even if everything else does" (from Elder González' talk: Learning with Our Hearts)

7. And of course Elder Holland´s powerful talk in which he says "Once we have made the choice to be a disiple of Jesus Christ, we can't quit and we can't go back. God expects our loyalty and love in every stage of our lives!" (from Elder Holland's talk: The First Great Commandment)

It was a great conference and I hope that if you didn't have a chance to watch, that you will look it up online at gc.lds.org and read or watch some of the talks. After watching this General Conference my testimony is even more firm that I know God calls prophets and apostles today. He directs His true church through these His chosen servants. If we listen and heed these teaching and words,  we will be protected and guided to happiness and hope.

In other news I am here settled in my new sector and I LOVE IT. My new companion is the cutest sweetest little thing I have ever met. We get along really well. She is from Guatemala. On top of that I am in the neighboring ward of one of my old sectors so everyone recognizes me, I feel like I've gone home, or at least returned to a beloved place, everyone has been so loving. At General Conference I was running around hugging and saying Hi to everyone. One of the young men looked at me and laughed. "You're just all smiles today Hermana Bowns." I am so happy to be here. For conference my zone had a barbecue for lunch during the Saturday sessions...but it was raining...somehow it all worked out and was delicious!


Anyway! I love you! I hope you have a great week. Thank you for your prayers and consistent support!

Love, Hermana Bowns
_

No comments:

Post a Comment