Monday, October 1, 2012

October 1, 2012 - Learning to Walk on Water

I thought I had had whirlwind weeks in the mission , until this week! Are you ready.....

well on Tuesday and Wednesday I went to a different sector for a mini-transfer, I got to work for two days as companions with a sister who is finishing her mission. It was AMAZING. It was like a breath of fresh air. She reminded me of why I'm really here in the mission and helped me see that I can do great things.

I get back from my mini-transfer on Thursday morning and my beloved companion tells me that they are thinking of sending her home because she is having ankle problems. WHAT! That night they tell us officially that she needs to go home to take care of her foot, receive proper treatment to be able to return to missionary service in 6 months. Early the next morning she was gone. Talk about emotionally stressful.

Well that leaves me alone. And since I'm a missionary I can't BE alone. For the past three days I have been companions with an approved returned missionary sister in my ward, who had to be with me 24/7 until my new companion comes...well that is what we thought.

Since this weekend is transfers we get a call from my district leader this morning. The first thing he asks is, ''Hermana, what do you think is happening to you this transfer?'' I respond, ''I think I'm staying, because why would I leave?'' He then gives me the great shock...I'm leaving!!!!!

I'm being transferred to none else than a neighboring sector to one of my old sectors. So pretty much I feel like I am going back to a place I already served. I am seriously in shock. Elders are coming to take my place! Was I stressed before? Now I have to pack my bags and leave everything ready for the elders to pick up where I left off. Whew!!!!! Crazy crazy! But I like crazy. It makes life exciting. And I am really excited to go to my new sector. My new companion only has one transfer in the mission so I am finishing her training, and she is from Guatemala! Sigh. I am going to be so happy when Conference comes because it will mean that I am settled in my new sector and the stress is over:)

Oh and amidst the craziness I put on a ward talent show and sang a solo with my guitar in it! I have done things in the mission that I never saw myself capable of doing before. But that is the beauty of the mission, it gives you opportunities to grow and get outside of your shell:)

When I was on the mini-transfer my companion taught me something that really helped me. She read me this story from Matthew 14:

And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.

 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? (Matthew 14:25-31)

My companion pointed out to me that when Peter was focused on the Savior and full of faith he actually walked on water. She taught me that we are capable of doing incredible things when we are full of faith and focused on the Savior. When we lose our focus is when we lose the ability to do those amazing things. I am determined to learn to walk on water this transfer! What can you do to learn to walk on water in your life?

Let us be faithful and focused on the Savior always!

Love, Hermana Bowns
_

No comments:

Post a Comment